Wednesday 15 August 2012

Summer Reading Challenge and Back To (Home) School Workbooks!

Hannah has joined the Summer Reading Challenge at two different libraries this year. One with Hampshire Libraries at Fareham and the other with Portsmouth City Libraries at our local library.

She is really enjoying the books she borrowed from Fareham, rather brilliantly they had a huge collection of pony stories there!


 At the Portsmouth library she chose a selection of books she hadn't tried before and so far her favourite is The Secret Seven!

 If you'd like to read a bit more about the Summer Reading Challenge there is a website all about it here Summer Reading Challenge 2012


Last week I also ordered a few workbooks to get us back to school next month, and they arrive a couple of days ago.
We used the Math grade 2 last year and Hannah got on well with it. The books are short so I was able to add to them with printables and worksheets where needed. I find that suits Hannah's style of learning well so we are sticking with that plan for this year.


I bought Grade 3 Basic Math, Grade 3-4 Language Arts and Grade 3-4 Spelling Puzzles.


A sneak peek at Language Arts

Spelling Puzzles

Math
We are fairly autonomous with our learning style, so Hannah is going to choose some topics she would like to look at and I still need to find some fun science for her to do. Any recommendations anyone??

2 comments:

Fiona said...

Sofie also loves the Secret Seven (and pony stories obviously), and is loving The Naughtiest Girl series now (also Enid Blyton). As Hannah is into animals, she would probably like My Gallianos Circus too.

I think your curriculum looks great. I will be coming to you next year for suggestions, when Sofie starts English at school - obviously I will send her with her own work to do as I don't think learning English as a foreign language at age 8 will present her with a huge challenge!

Anonymous said...

I've bought the Space one of these kits for Sam http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtoys&field-keywords=Thames+and+Kosmos+Little+Labs
Yes you could easily pull it all together yourself for a fair amount cheaper BUT sometimes it is worth paying the money for someone else to do it as if you are anything like me it won't get done otherwise.
Most science curricula you see are so drab. Singapore My Pals are Here has decent reviews I think.