Saturday 14 September 2013

A Trip To Northamptonshire

On Thursday Hannah and I went to Northamptonshire with my dad and my sister to see where my dad was born and spent his early childhood.

We stopped first in the village of  Syresham to visit the Kings Head public house where dad was born. The current owners were really nice and let us go in to have a look around even though they weren't open yet!






Then we moved on to the village of Yardly Gobian where my dad grew up. He showed us all around the village and told us stories from his childhood - it was so nice to hear them while being in the village. It was the first time Hannah and I had ever been there. 

Dad walking through the village of Yardley Gobion

Outside his childhood home.


This was where dad's friend lived and as children they would climb the huge walnut tree in the background.



We visited the church that dad went to  in the village and he told us that my uncle used to pump the organ during the services. The organ is still there!




His old village school is now a row of houses, but the old school bell was still on the wall and the playground was still there.


Hannah collecting leaves in the old school playground 
We had a lovely lunch in Yardley Gobion and then drove to Blisworth village where my grandmother was born and my dad's family lived. Dad showed us some places he remembered before going to the crematorium to leave flowers for my grandmother. She died when i was 13 months old, but i have a clear memory of visiting her before she died. 


Uncle Dennis, my dad's older brother and his wife have a memory plaque next to my grandmother.

Three generations of my family  


Our final stop was at the cemetery in Northampton where my grandad is buried. 




It was  a lovely day, and i am so glad that I was able to share it with Hannah. I really want her to know her family history and feel connected to my ancestry and what could be better than visiting these places with her grandad. She really enjoyed it and has made some really special memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a special day! I love that you were visiting old memories while making new ones:)